The Kearney Community Hall was constructed in the early 1950’s by local residents through volunteer efforts on land then owned by a local rancher, Karl Hepp, who donated the land to a farm organization or grange. The only stipulation was that there be no alcohol. It was managed by a local group and used for dances, reunions, weddings, socials, Christmas programs, voting, receptions, and other community events. This was actually the third building used as the Kearney Hall. The second was above the Kearney post office and store. This building was owned by Dave Noyce and was located on the Story road North of the Hepp ranch. This building was engulfed in flames during a practice burn by Sheridan and Johnson County fireman in th 1990's. The original Dance Hall was built by SS Sturgis in the early 1900's.
The hall was last used in the early 1990’s and had fallen into dire disrepair. Outhouses had caved in, vandals had broken windows, the roof was leaking on the oak dance floor, and varmints had invaded the basement.
Patty Hepp speaks about functions in the hall in the 1950's and 60's.
Joe Foss speaks about what it was like to play for a dance at the Kearney Community Hall in the late 1960's and 70's.